Re: Quality of response to TARs

From: Kirt Thomas <kremovethisspamthingthomas_at_gfsiinc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:30:11 -0500

I would say, on whole, my experience with Support has been positive over the last year. We've had some ups and downs, but in crunch situations they have been there with good help and solutions. It is not always the first analyst that is the problem solver.

I handle my TAR's two ways. First, I always attempt to create the TAR via Metalink. This is born of experience, nine times out of ten, if I open the TAR with an analyst directly, the problem or issue does not get reported in the TAR correctly. This kind of initial mistep can potentially add weeks to your TAR as new analysts only read the top and bottom, and you end up fighting the same battles over and over.

Then I give it 15 minutes and dial on in - I want to talk with some one and establish a rapport. I want them to understand my situation. I let them know if my Director is involved, how many users are affected, or any business cases etc etc..

The main issue I have, is that the first line of analysts are mainly note takers, and searchers. They are usually not solvers. Occasionally they will find an issue that I was unable to find (searching Metalink and Technet), they do have more access and a different front end. But usally they pass things on when they realize the can't help, or when I ask them to, because I realize they can't help.

The second issue I have is with Metalink. It is the slowest and most unreliable thing I run into. Over half the time it doesn't work, and much of the rest of the time it is so eye-bleedingly slow as to be unusable.