Re: How do I make a database accessible by other users?

From: Andrew Simkovsky <asimkovsky_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 01:13:48 -0400

To move the data to another user:
Take a look at the documentation (the Oracle Utilities Manual) about the export/import utilities. You can do an export of the all the data under the current owner, then do an import using FROMUSER and TOUSER. The FROMUSER is the current owner, and the TOUSER will be dbowner.

To allow access to everyone:
Create a role called anything you want. Then grant all the privileges you want to this role. Then grant this role to any user you want to allow access to the data. You can grant it to PUBLIC, which means everybody, but for security purposes you should avoid that. The information about how to do this is in the Oracle Administrator's Guide.

If all else fails, hire a consultant. No offense, but I've seen databases that were installed by inexperienced people. You will probably need a consultant eventually anyways.

Andrew Simkovsky
OCP DBA MikeWJ wrote in message ...
>Last November I was handed the (many) Oracle CD's and told to install it on
>server...and make it work. With NO previous experience at installing
 databases,
>or anything (for that matter) on a WnT server, I tried.
>
>Backups work.
>I can run "job" on the console.
>I had the existing dba transfer the databases and their structures from a
>VAXcluster (I'm the system manager) to the NT server. The old databases
>Ingres & Coda. He put all of the info under his username.
>
>Now I, somehow, have to re-put all of this data under a "general" user,
>called dbowner, so that all of our client users may have access to it.
>
>My progress, such as it is, so far?
>
>@#$%^& Only the fellow who created it, myself, and one other admin can
 access
>the database.
>
>Someone said to export then import the data. Import to what, dbowner? How?
>After I started re-reading the manuals, I got to be more confused. I tried
>contact a dba at another site, but was greeted with "This doesn't look
 ANYTHING