How do I make a database accessible by other users?

From: MikeWJ <mjenkins_at_jcn.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 19:43:02 -0500

Last November I was handed the (many) Oracle CD's and told to install it on a server...and make it work. With NO previous experience at installing databases, or anything (for that matter) on a WnT server, I tried.

Backups work.
I can run "job" on the console.
I had the existing dba transfer the databases and their structures from a VAXcluster (I'm the system manager) to the NT server. The old databases Ingres & Coda. He put all of the info under his username.

Now I, somehow, have to re-put all of this data under a "general" user, called dbowner, so that all of our client users may have access to it.

My progress, such as it is, so far?

@#$%^& Only the fellow who created it, myself, and one other admin can access the database.

Someone said to export then import the data. Import to what, dbowner? How? After I started re-reading the manuals, I got to be more confused. I tried to contact a dba at another site, but was greeted with "This doesn't look ANYTHING like what WE use! Why didn't you follow (our) standards?"

Me> because YOU (or your boss) NEVER gave us a copy of them! dba> Oh....I'll send them to you.

And, yes, I did fill the dba in on my background and general lack of experience with databases, especially Oracle.

Now I'm turning to the one source that's always been helpful---the newsgroup. Any help that you can give is greatly appreciated.

After 31 years in MIS, I have read the manuals AND I'm STILL confused.

MikeWJ Received on Mon Apr 16 2001 - 19:43:02 CDT