Re: Creating Graphs from Oracle Database.

From: Bastiaan Schaap <bschaap_at_desyde.nl>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:08:19 +0200

Creating Graphs from Oracle Database.Hi Anurag,

I understand from your post that you want to have your graphics online. In that case the only products you could use from Oracle are Reports and Discoverer. Reports is actually a reporting tool that runs reports on a client machine, I know however that there is a 'developer server' that allows you to run forms and reports from a webserver. What it actually does is transform the forms and/or reports into Java applets, which are sent to the client for display. I have no experience in doing this myself, but I know it can be done. I heard from several people however, that performance for online forms/reports is rather poor. The other Oracle product is discoverer. This is kind of an online QBE tool, that allows you to create your own reports online. This is more the kind of tool you would use to let visitors of your site create their own reports online.

If however, your object is to just create pie/bar/line charts on-the-fly, based on table data, I can suggest you use PHP. This is a scripting language that allows you to connect to Oracle directly by using the OCI. It also has libraries to create images on-the-fly. If you look around a little on the web, you can even find complete PHP classes, that build the graphs for you. To integrate this on your webserver you could choose to install iAS, which actually is just Apache with a plsql module (mod_plsql), and install the PHP(4) module (mod_php).

HTH, Bastiaan

'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order' -- Dr Who Received on Thu Apr 12 2001 - 04:08:19 CDT