Re: Oracle on Linux or 2000?

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:25:27 GMT

Mark Lutze wrote:

> I would suggest Linux, if only for the ease that one can remotely
> administer the machine. (It is 4AM your pager just went off,
> what do you do, drive in to work, or dial in?)
>
> I have not used terminal server on W2K but my experience with terminal
> server on NT (as well as Timbuktu, and PC Anyware) are they work as
> long as the system is healthy. If the DB is down then it is probably
> because the system is not healthy, give me telnet!

Mark,

Have you ever tried NetOp?
Its similar to PC Anywhere, but very fast over a 28.8 dialup. Also, if you have a Citrix Metaframe Terminal Server on the LAN, you could connect (securely) over a WAN connection with the Citrix ICA client, and use WinVNC from the Citrix (virtual) desktop to connect to the WinVNC server on the Oracle box.

One issue - WinVNC uses alot of CPU cycles when in use.

Just some GUI advice.

hth,

Paul Received on Sun Apr 08 2001 - 14:25:27 CDT