Re: Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux

From: frank.sara <frank.sara_at_infonie.fr>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:26:13 +0200

Try this!

Steps for cleaning up after a failed 8i installation:

  1. Backup all important files. (This includes the orainst.loc and init.ora files and any data files that have not already been backed up.)
  2. Remove the $ORACLE_HOME directory.
  3. Remove the oraInventory directory. (Most of the time it will be in the $ORACLE_BASE directory.)
  4. Remove the orainst.loc file. This file is in different places depending on which OS you have. (Sun is /var/opt/oracle, LINUX is in /etc.)
  5. Check all inviroment variables and shared memory settings.
  6. Re-run runInstaller.

Definitions of the install directories:

oraInventory The directory where Oracle keeps the information on which oracle

                packages are installed. The files in this directory are
binary
                so they are not modifiable.
orainst.loc The file that tells the installer where to find the oraInventory
                directory. (You need several copies of this file. One for
each
                set of binaries.)
oratab  This file keeps the information on which databases are on this
                a system. It also holds the information on which instances
                to start automatically.

good luck!