Re: Redo log & RAID

From: Allen <allenh_at_starbase.neosoft.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2001 09:40:46 -0500

>I'd say this is one of the areas the Handbook is dead wrong. The
>handbook pushes performance over reliability, and while performance is
>very important, it is not near as important ensuring the reliability
>of a production db :) Toss some more CPU's at the box and use
>Oracle's mirroring it's much safer.

I agree. On the production system I manage, I'm using both HW Raid mirroring and Oracle's mirroring. That means my archive and redo logs are going onto 4 harddrives. Probably excessive, and yes not the best performance.. but dammit my data is safe!

L8r.. Allen Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 09:40:46 CDT