Re: Redo log & RAID

From: TMAN <shadow_man_600_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:43:28 -0500

Okay, I've read all the others so I'll throw in my 2 bits. Here we use a combination of oracle mirroring and hw mirroring. The HW is done by and EMC 8730 frame so it handles the M1-M2 stuff, and it does diags against the disks, calling EMC if either disk starts having problems. Also if one or the other has an issue it takes it off line and only uses the good disk until the bad one is replaced. We also mirror at the oracle level and to make things fast we stripe at the OS level across 4 disks. Oh, yeah, we only use raw devices. Is this overkill, possible, do I sleep better, definately. Is there a performance hit, don't think so, I see no wait events indicating performance issues.

Thom Crider
Senior DBA