Re: Rookie restore problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:24:57 +1000

<todd_at_nospam.org> wrote in message news:9a592b$tu$1_at_news.netmar.com...
> This what I have been doing to attempt to restore on a different machine:
>
> Short version
> 1) I installed Oracle on new machine (same directory structure)
> 2) I created a new control file(s) by issuing: alter database backup
> controlfile to trace;
> 3) I modify that script to add additional .dbf file that was in the old
> database (CONTROLROOM.dbf)
> 4) I run the script in svrmgrl to create new control files using RESETLOGS
> instead of NORESETLOGS, because I didn't back the redo logs up
> 5) I copy over all the backup .dbf files to new machine
> 6) using svrmgrl, connect internal, startup mount
> 7) alter database open resetlogs
> 8) message about how the system01.dbf file needs recovery
> 9) recover database using backup controlfile until cancel;
> 10) when prompted for the arc file, I hit enter, but the .arc file doesn't
> exist.
>
> Did I screw this up by not backing up the arc files?

Yes. You say you are doing this to 'restore on a different machine'. How can you possibly restore anything without all available redo (online and archived) being made available to the recovering Instance? In your case, it's worse since your backup script takes hot backups -those *must* have redo applied to them to make them internally consistent, otherwise they are simply useless.

I don't understand why you are having to add a new line to reference a file that was 'in the old database'. If it was in the old database, why wasn't it in the trace file? Was it backed up? Will the original database's redo stream make reference to that file? You're trying to do recovery... get that right first, and then worry about plugging in extra files. If that datafile was not included in the original hot backups, forget it until you've dealt with the recovery of that which *was* there.

It also doesn't help that you copied the DBF files *after* running the create controlfile script. They are supposed to be there at the point of creating the controlfile, so that Oracle can determine the highest SCN number to place in the header of the new controlfile. How else is it supposed to know the point to which the database should be recovered?

And, for the record, if you are ever prompted to supply a piece of redo which you know doesn't exist, the procedure is to allow the current recovery to fail, then restart it with a 'recover database until cancel', and when prompted for the missing log, to type the word 'cancel'.

However: that's not your real problem here. Your real problem is that your basic approach is up the spout. What are you trying to achieve? A complete recovery of a clone? Then there is no need to issue a resetlogs at all, unless you are also wishing to rename the clone database -and if I were you, I'd get the recovery done as one operation, and worry about renaming things as a completely separate exercise. You have hot backups -archive logs are not optional extras. You need all archives available since the time the first tablespace in your script was put in backup mode. Anything other than that just is not going to work.

Regards
HJR

> [...]
> >> /* Usage: Execute in SYSDBA-privileged SQL*Plus session */
> >> /*************************************************************/
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backup up database to jar file
> >> PROMPT $ORACLE_BASE/backups/db-backup.tar
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up SYSTEM tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE system BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/system01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE system END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT SYSTEM tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up TOOLS tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE tools BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/tools01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE tools END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT TOOLS tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up TEMP tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE temp BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/temp01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE temp END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT TEMP tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up USERS tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE users BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/users01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE users END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT USERS tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up SYSTEM tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE system BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/system01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE system END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT SYSTEM tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up RBS tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE rbs BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/rbs01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE rbs END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT SYSTEM RBS backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up DRSYS tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE drsys BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/drsys01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE DRSYS END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT DRSYS tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up INDX tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE indx BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/www/indx01.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE indx END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT INDX tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up CONTROLROOM tablespace ...
> >> PROMPT
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE controlroom BEGIN BACKUP;
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_BASE/oradata/db/CONTROLROOM.dbf $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> ALTER TABLESPACE controlroom END BACKUP;
> >>
> >> PROMPT CONTROLROOM tablespace backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up database control file ....

 '$ORACLE_BASE/backups/controlbkup.ctl'
> >> REUSE;
> >>
> >> PROMPT Database Control file backed up.
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> PROMPT Backing up misc files.....
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/initwww.ora $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/orapwwww $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> HOST cp $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/*.ora $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> HOST cp /etc/oratab $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >> HOST cp /etc/rc.d/init.d/dbora $ORACLE_BASE/backups/.
> >>
> >> PROMPT misc files backed up
> >> PROMPT
> >>
> >> -------------------------
> >>
> >> I have a different box with Oracle installed that I would like to
 restore
 the
> >> backup from above. I've tried a few different ways, but I'm not having
 any
> >> luck. Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Todd

 Web

> >> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
 groups
> >> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other
 posts
> >> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
 abuse_at_newsone.net

 eb -----
> http://newsone.net/ -- Free reading and anonymous posting to 60,000+
 groups
> NewsOne.Net prohibits users from posting spam. If this or other posts
> made through NewsOne.Net violate posting guidelines, email
abuse_at_newsone.net Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 16:24:57 CST