Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: wayne <no_at_email.please.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2001 16:34:59 GMT

> After all, high availability and scalability actually means "is the system
> there when I want to use it", and "can I get the performance I need to do
> this task now, or do I have to wait". These issues are experienced by all
> sites, both large and small, and do NOT necessarily only equate to sites
> supporting 50,000 users online 24x7.

I did not mean that small shops do not need what you say... Indeed they do and could benefit from it. I spoke from the point of view that it is much easier to do those things on a small-time shop than on a big DB: In a small system you can tell everyone to get out of the system for five minutes while you back up (for example). It is equivalent to an Oracle cold backup, and is something impossible to do on a big shop: There are lots of things going on that cannot be stopped, there are people using the system that you do not even know who or where they are, and you will _not_ be down for only five minute for a cold backup.

For these reasons, trivial things in a small-time shop that MS Access and/or dBase do not even begin to worry about, those things are huge deals in a bigger DB that Oracle enables you to handle much better. Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 10:34:59 CST