Re: Pro's & Con's on Oracle & SQL Svr?

From: BP Margolin <bpmargo_at_attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:03:26 -0500

Wayne,

Just want to express a different viewpoint re:

> Oracle, on the other hand, comes from a UNIX point of view, exposing
 almost
> every possible setting: internal block sizes, archivelog settings,
 internal
> memory allocation sizes, almost every possible data file, storage, and
> allocation setting, extensive realtime performance monitoring information,
> and a ton of other things.

What you say is true. However the implication is open to interpretation. The SQL Server viewpoint is that it is more efficient (performance-wise) to have the database continually monitor itself and dynamically adjust its settings to reflect the load.

With Oracle, the DBA has to "pick a point in time" and then issues settings for that point in time. While the settings for that point in time may be optimal, the likelihood that the database load is constant is relatively small.

SQL Server, instead, continuously monitors itself and its performance, and dynamically adjusts its configuration. This tends to provide, overall and over time, a better level of optimization than doing a point in time optimization.

I do accept that it is difficult for many Oracle DBAs to believe that the software can do a better job by itself and without intervention, however the TPC benchmarks would appear to support this viewpoint.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated. Received on Thu Mar 29 2001 - 11:03:26 CST