Re: what is industry best practice for space monitoring

From: <xmark.powell_at_eds.com.x>
Date: 28 Mar 2001 14:09:23 GMT

In article <3AC0B551.BD0E1012_at_bos.frb.org>, Michael B Cohen <Michael.B.Cohen_at_bos.frb.org> writes:
>Is there a general % space utilization (threshold) beyond which you
>start being concerned about it?

Space utilization in relation to what? A datafile? A Tablespace?

There are several different approaches to managing space in an Oracle db. Which category you fall into depends on the history of the db and applications being ran.

In an ideal database you would size every object into one and only one extent and the object would never extend. The reality is we as DBA's rarely know how big most of our tables will one day become. So I would suggest that you consider managing by extent counts. Associate larger objects of like size into tablespaces that hold objects with only one extent size using either manual storage or locally managed tablespaces with the uniform setting. From a space management point of view if is less troublesome if you have mixed extents on small objects. Then you can divide all free space extents by the largest next extent to be taken in the tablespace and know you need to add a file when the number of available extents falls below a safety range.

For system managed storage you can use sys.dba_free_space to find the free extents and sys.dba_segments provides the next extent size to divide into the free space. I haven't determined where I would look for locally managed tablespaces yet.