Re: oracle 8.0.6 running aweful!!!!! need tuning advice!

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 26 Mar 2001 00:26:27 +0100 (BST)

oskar <pheonix1t_at_home.com> wrote:
> So, until they get around to it I need to start taking some measurements
>of this thing and see just how bad it is and why? Kyle Hailey posted a
>monitor utility that he's developed as well as a link to Quest.com. What do
>oracle professionals have to say about quest software or Kyle's monitor
>software?

Quest's software appears quite good for a GUI monitor, but it isn't cheap. A colleague of mine uses Spotlight. I haven't used Kyle Hailey's software yet.

None of the software packages give you much information that isn't available to you through reports and stats that come with Oracle, they present it in a way that some people may find more accessible.

>forgive the long message but I'd really appreciate some accurate advice on
>what I should be reading or looking at to solve this problem!

You quite rightly say that there's a lot to learn about Oracle tuning. There are far worse places to start than Oracle's own documentation, The "Designing and Tuning for Performance" manual is a good introduction to general methodology.

Beyond that, the best information is on the web sites Howard Rogers mentioned.

Sybrand Bakker mentioned utl{b,e}stat reports, these are the best tool available in 8.0. At the risk of suggesting a quick fix, which is potentially dangerous with a system as complex as Oracle, you could try uploading your utlestat report to www.oraperf.com for an automated interpretation.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/