Re: oracle 8.0.6 running aweful!!!!! need tuning advice!

From: kyle hailey <oraperf_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 04:10:22 -0800

The scripts ?/rdbms/admin/utl[be]stat.sql are the easiest way to get most of the info you need on database tuning. These scripts produce the file "report.txt" which can be an intimidating spaghetti bowl of numbers and names to most people. The easiest way to make sense of is to look at the wait events. For example look at

   http://oraperf.sourceforge.net/seminar/sevt_anal.html

For an example (hokey but informative) see:

   http://oraperf.sourceforge.net/seminar/ex3.html

For general info on tunning see

   http://oraperf.sourceforge.net/seminar

This is the beginning of simple, for anyone, tuning method. It was originally a seminar I gave to Oracle kernel developers when I worked in the performance group in kernel development at Oracle (and yes, for a while now the main kernel devopment has been and still is on Solaris, other stuff is used to various degrees depending on politics, partnerships and group preference). I'm in the midst of changing it around and fleshing it out for a more general audiance. It will be more readible in the future and should already be interesting for alot of people.

Best
Kyle Hailey
http://oraperf.sourceforge.net

PS All the above links are a bit messy but I'll have an update in the next 3 weeks or so.

If you are interested in having me do tuning or train people for a week or less, I'm happy to. Money is not my biggest priorty but more convenience because I actually like this suff. I'm busy till mid April. Received on Tue Mar 27 2001 - 06:10:22 CST