Re: Oradim & Certification

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:01:34 -0500

My .02$ on oracle certification:
I had originally planned to go for the DBA certification but have found myself sidetracked into the developers track. I studied for about 80-100 hours over two weeks (My wife is VERY supportive and understanding!!) with the class material for Forms I and the STS software(full version). I passed the test easily and have come up with some things that the more experienced programmers in the office weren't aware of / didn't remember. The reason I did it that way was so I would only know the oracle methods for performing a certain action. There are a great many ways to do the same thing but on an Oracle test they want the Oracle answer. In my opinion, experience can hurt you for the test in these cases. I work with a programmer that completely shuns the wizards in Reports.(I am taking the test on Wednesday) He would have absolutely NO chance of passing the test without a great deal of study (we will see Wednesday how well I do with no report experience) but he can do much more with the tool than I can at this point.

My point (and yes I do have one) is that you should if at all possible get the oracle class books to study from. The test I have taken seem to follow them very closely. They will make your life much easier and give you the Oracle methods that the test is looking for. I have two of the big red OCP manuals and neither goes into anywhere near enough details for me to be comfortable taking a test. Having a machine to practice on will help tremendously. I also can not recommend the STS software highly enough. ( You can usually find all 5 test on Ebay for 50$. ) It is an accurate representation of the actual test and will help pinpoint areas you need to study. If you can get these two or three items I believe you should be able to pass the test with about 2 -3 weeks preparation for each.