Re: Newbie backup question

From: t.olczak_at_wp.pl <(t.olczak_at_wp.pl)>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:15:48 +0000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in article <3aa96a4d_at_news.iprimus.com.au> :

>"Brian Dick" <bdick_at_home.com> wrote in message
>> Now we're getting somewhere. I'll read up on the CONSISTENT=YES parameter.
>

>When you do, do make sure you realise the implications of it. Namely, that
>you are asking for a read-consistent image of the entire database to be
>created. Firstly, that's an ambitious ask. You'd better have the mother of
>all rollback segments ready to handle the task. And you'd better provide
>free Valium to your Users as day after day their backup script fails with
>'ORA-1555 Snapshot Too Old' error messages (and yes, there are scripts
>available at www.ixora.com.au to prevent snapshot too olds, but they work
>simply by causing rollback segments to balloon in size).

That's right - you can run out of rollback space rather quickly. But it depends on the size of data you are backing up.

>I'm not saying it can't be done, but export and import are useful adjuncts
>to a physical backup. I'd never trust them as my sole source of reliable
>backups for a production database.

I agree with Howard that the best thing you can do is to switch to ARCHIVELOG mode and use Recovery-Manager & Recovery Catalogue to protect your data.

Regards,
Tom

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com Received on Mon Mar 12 2001 - 03:15:48 CST