Re: Newbie backup question

From: t.olczak_at_wp.pl <(t.olczak_at_wp.pl)>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:07:07 +0000

"Brian Dick" <bdick_at_home.com> wrote in article <oK9q6.13486$PR.91352_at_news1.wwck1.ri.home.com> :
>Now we're getting somewhere. I'll read up on the CONSISTENT=YES parameter.
>So would my restore script do something like the following.
>
>1) Delete all old (corrupt) files from the database directory.
>2) Create a new database.
>3) Create the schema name and grant appropriate authorities.
>4) Import the backup copy of the database.
>5) Create other users and grant appropriate authorities.

It depends what kind of failure you are experiencing. Basically to recreate the consistent database from import/export files you have to drop all the tables within the schema and recreate them from those files. You don't have to recreate the datafiles or the database unless you experience a serious media failure. And as Howard Rogers emphasised the best thing to do is definitely switch to ARCHIVELOG mode and use RecoveryManager & Recovery Catalogue to protect your data.

Cheers,
Tom

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com Received on Mon Mar 12 2001 - 03:07:07 CST