Re: Better method for importing?

From: Fred A G <nospam_at_allowed.localhost>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 02:14:29 +0100

"wayne" <no_at_email.please.com> wrote in message news:98gdrp$o9_at_dispatch.concentric.net...
> > Hacking some small scripts for creating and running the necessary
> > create user, role and such commands isn't so much work, but I'd
 prefer a
> > better tool for the job. With many different applications it adds up
 and
> > isn't always easy to verify either.
>
> For what it's worth it may be easier to write scripts to recreate
 these
> other objects. I wrote one, for example, to produce a script recreate
 all
> the users and restore their old password. You could just as easily
 write a
> script to produce a script (talk about recursion!) to restore roles,
 users,
> and all the other stuff...

That was my meaning here, scripts for generating scripts. But even if the first line of scripts are of general style, every app. migration is a "special case". (Btw, is that really recursion).

I still wonder though, why there seem to be something missing between a full import and a fromuser import. You'd want to avoid a (possible) mess with sys and system stuff, but, on the other hand, many pieces are missing by only doing a fromuser import.

If output of show=y listings were better formatted I could use that to fetch any related user, role, etc. commands (could be done in perl or even with a plain ol' grep).

Regards
/Fad Received on Mon Mar 12 2001 - 19:14:29 CST