Re: Is it possible to create a System tablespace with Local managed extent?

From: Kerry Scott <kerrysco_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:13:16 -0500

You can create rollback segments in a locally managed tablespace. The tablespace must not be autoallocate, i.e set it to a fixed size. You normally put rollbacks in a tablespace dedicated for the purpose, and since they usually all have the same extent size, not using autoallocate will not be an issue.

Kerry

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3aa7dc93_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote in message
> > On this note (sort of), I'm trying some experiments just now on a test
> > machine with locally managed tablespaces.
> >
> > I've got them all - except system, obv. - set to either autoallocate or
> > uniform extent as appropriate, but when I tried to create rollback
 segments,
> > it said I couldn't create them in my rbs tablespace... I take it - given
> > sizing of rbs and initial/next/optimum clauses in rbs segment creation -
> > that rbs can't be in locally managed tablespace?
> >

> This is my favourite 'feature' in 8i!!!!
>
> Read the error message carefully... it should be the one about 'unable to
> use system rollback segment for updates in non-system tablespace'.
>
> The problem is that in order to create a rollback segment in a locally
> managed tablespace, an update has to take place to the bitmap at the start
> of that non-system tablespace to record the extent allocations to the
> segment you're trying to create. That's an *update* to the bitmap.
 Updates
> require rollback. If the update is taking place anywhere other than
 SYSTEM,