Re: shutdown immediate taking too long

From: Terry Norman <scott_at_tiger9.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:16:16 -0000

Dear all,

I don't know if this relevant but on 8.1.(5 or 6) I've had two cases where the archive log destination has filled; then I've moved stuff around to make space available in it. At this point I would expect the database server to get going again but it still says (in alert log) no arc dest available or words to that effect. Then I tried to shutdown immediate, waited a couple of hours, looked in alert log and found squillions of "arc dest not avail" or what have you messages. I then had to shutdown abort. Are you getting anything in alert log?
This might be some use, or completely irrelevant if your arc dest isn't full.

Regards,
Terry.

james wrote in message <5GRp6.989$Up.60830_at_sea-read.news.verio.net>...
>hi! when I issue shutdown immediate command it goes:
>SVRMGR> shutdown immediate;
>Database closed.
>Database dismounted.
>and stays there for too long time , I waited for two hours last time then
>eventually I had to use the abort option. Could anynone help me out here?
 At