Re: Error RMAN-06097, please help !

From: Steve Blomeley <steveblomeley_at_yahooDOTco.uk>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 01:00:00 +0000

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> As for the original poster's problem, given that no mention is made of
> version, it's difficult to advise. But I can say that I am totally unaware
> of a 'create catalog tablespace' command, and trying to issue commands which
> don't exist is liable to provoke RMAN into issuing it's usual flurry of
> highly intuitive error messages.
>
> What you are supposed to do is manually connect to the catalog database as
> per usual in SQLPLUS or whatever other tool takes your fancy (but not
> RMAN!), create the RMAN tablespace, create an RMAN User with a default
> tablespace of that RMAN tablespace just created, and grant a couple of
> privileges to the new User (recovery_catalog_owner I think may be one).
> *THEN* you switch to RMAN, and issue the 'create catalog' command (and
> again, I'm assuming 8i is in use at this point).
>
> And all of that is extremely well-documented.

[ The non-existent 'create catalog tablespace ...' command is certainly well-documented : Both the 8.1.5 Backup and Recovery Guide and the 8.1.7 Recovery Manager Users Guide and Reference suggest the use of this command to create a recovery catalog in the specified tablespace. The documentation helpfully explains that 'If you do not specify a tablespace, RMAN stores the recovery catalog in the SYSTEM tablespace'. In fact if you *don't* specify a tablespace, the catalog is created in the users default tablespace (as you'd expect). In my experience (8.1.5 / 8.1.6 on Linux), if you *do* supply a tablespace the create catalog command returns an error, and no catalog is created. ]

I assume the original poster has already created a user with all the required roles/privileges and with the desired default tablespace, so all he need do now is:

RMAN> create catalog ;

...hopefully with result...
RMAN-06431: recovery catalog created

BFN
SB Received on Thu Mar 08 2001 - 19:00:00 CST