Re: Error RMAN-06097, please help !

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 15:33:32 +1100

"Steve Blomeley" <steveblomeley_at_yahooDOTco.uk> wrote in message news:3AA82B10.F84488E0_at_yahooDOTco.uk...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > As for the original poster's problem, given that no mention is made of
> > version, it's difficult to advise. But I can say that I am totally
 unaware
> > of a 'create catalog tablespace' command, and trying to issue commands
 which
> > don't exist is liable to provoke RMAN into issuing it's usual flurry of
> > highly intuitive error messages.
> >
> > What you are supposed to do is manually connect to the catalog database
 as
> > per usual in SQLPLUS or whatever other tool takes your fancy (but not
> > RMAN!), create the RMAN tablespace, create an RMAN User with a default
> > tablespace of that RMAN tablespace just created, and grant a couple of
> > privileges to the new User (recovery_catalog_owner I think may be one).
> > *THEN* you switch to RMAN, and issue the 'create catalog' command (and
> > again, I'm assuming 8i is in use at this point).
> >
> > And all of that is extremely well-documented.
>
> [ The non-existent 'create catalog tablespace ...' command is certainly
> well-documented : Both the 8.1.5 Backup and Recovery Guide and the 8.1.7
> Recovery Manager Users Guide and Reference suggest the use of this
> command to create a recovery catalog in the specified tablespace. The
> documentation helpfully explains that 'If you do not specify a
> tablespace, RMAN stores the recovery catalog in the SYSTEM tablespace'.
> In fact if you *don't* specify a tablespace, the catalog is created in
> the users default tablespace (as you'd expect). In my experience (8.1.5
> / 8.1.6 on Linux), if you *do* supply a tablespace the create catalog
> command returns an error, and no catalog is created. ]

Thanks for the correction. I was getting my versions 8.0 v. 8.1.x) in a muddle.

Also: I was bearing in mind page 11-7 from the course notes for the Backup and Recovery training course, where the steps listed are:

  1. Connect to the catalog database and create a tablespace for the catalog (ie do it manually)
  2. Create a Recovery Manager User (default tablespace whatever created at Step 1)
  3. Grant recovery_catalog_owner to the RMAN User
  4. Grant connect, resource to the RMAN User
  5. Run RMAN, connect to the catalog and issue the 'create catalog' command

... Though even then (now I'm back in the office), I note that version 2 of the course notes now includes the full 'create catalog tablespace blah' syntax.

Never tried it myself with the tablespace specified (stuck in the old ways, I guess) -but I agree, it should (and does) go to the User's default tablespace, not SYSTEM (and that one I just tested!). I've also just tested (8.1.7 on W2K) specifying explicitly the same tablespace name: it worked perfectly. Which just goes to prove either that W2K is superior to Linux (just joking!) or that 8.1.7 has fixed a few bugs as it was promised to do!

Regards
HJR.