Re: Hiding password on the server side

From: Myron Wintonyk <Myron.Wintonyk_at_UAlberta.CA>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:47:52 +1000

I don't bother encrypting the passwords. I use mod 600 as someone else suggested.

If they can read the file, they are "oracle" and it rally doesn't matter a lot.

The "advantage" of my method is there is a single file for multple databases, userid and passwords. It looks something like this:

DBNAME,USERNAME,PASSWORD

db1,myid,mypassword
db1,otheraccount,otherpassword
db2, ...

Essentially the "manage_db_script" does the following:

    grep myid passwordfile | grep db1 | awk -F: '{ print $3 }' -

(I think that's the syntax).