Re: Help: ias 9i on Linux

From: EricR <eric.richardson_at_mail.tju.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:10:53 -0500

Thanks for the info! I am only going to be running IAS on this server, if it is successful, I will be migrating it to another server that will have 1Gig of memory and up to 4 700Mhz processors, so I'm not to worried about hardware. We are currently running IAS on NT, but there are some security concerns with this.

Eric

"Dave Pulaski" <dave_at_dpulaski.net> wrote in message news:3A991ACE.77142720_at_dpulaski.net...
> I'm running Oracle 8i (8.1.6) and Oracle Application Server 4.0.8.1 (IAS
 9i's
> predesessor) on Red Hat 6.2 on a 866Mhz PIII with 256Mb RAM and three 10K
 18Gb
> U160 SCSI drives. Although I haven't gone to IAS 9i yet (going to soon),
 to my
> understanding there is not a huge difference between the releases. Half
 your
> battle is already over in that you're using RH 6.2 and not 7. The install
 is
> rather straight forward; I didn't have any problems with it at all. The
 hardest
> part is deciphering Oracle's confusing, poorly written install doc. You
 didn't
> mention installing an Oracle database on the box - just IAS... if you want
> database too I'd suggest installing it first, then IAS. IAS itself is
 really
> just a glorified webserver.
>
> Contrary to what the doc says, you don't have to mess with any Linux
 kernel
> params. I did roll my own kernel to get rid of bloat, but I didn't do
 anything
> to the shared memory parameters. Oracle should work OK with a canned 6.2
> kernel. You might want to tweak it some later if it goes beyond the demo
 stage.

> 256Mb of RAM is plenty for now. I'm running a 70 Mb SGA, and that seems
> leave plenty of room for the 140 or so processes that the Application
 Server
> spins off.
>
> Performance is excellent. I've written a couple of dynamic websites
 entirely in
> PL/SQL, and the OAS serves them up so fast you'd swear they were static
 pages.

> HTH,
>
> Dave Pulaski
> Database Consultant
>

> EricR wrote:
>
> > Just received one of those mission impossible projects to investigate
 how
> > ias works with Redhat Linux 6.2. Of course since I'm the DBA, my
 director
> > assumed that I would be perfect for leading this project. Of course
 when I
> > mentioned that my knowledge of Linux is less than nothing, he thought
> > nothing of this, and said to use my co-op to assist me since he loves
 Linux.