Re: multiple transactions in table

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 18:25:02 -0600

the behavior you report is not unusual for a PowerBuilder app developed with the earlier 5.0 version. this behavior is caused by a DataWindow control obtaining exclusive locks on all of the rows, and not releasing the locks until the DataWindow was closed. I would have thought that this problem was fixed by now.

We had to code around the problem, avoiding the use of the "lock management" natively performed by the DataWindow. (it's been awhile since we abandoned PowerBuilder, but if i recall correctly, the developers had to make almost all of the DataWindows "read only", and for "updates", they had to fetch rows using custom SQL, into a non-displayable dw or dwc, and then build all of the code for obtaining locks and performing updates.) i do clearly remember, however, that developing a usable, multi-user application with PowerBuilder was a painful struggle.

The developers were clamoring to use Delphi, and referring to PowerBuilder as "PowerChucker", due to the frequency with which the IDE would cause windows exceptions and crash. among the mantras uttered by the frustrated developers were "save early, save often"...i know it doesn't help you any, but i do "feel your pain"...