Re: archive logs

From: Jason Seeley <me_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:04:51 +1300

I keep each backup for a week, i.e. one for each day of the week. This also includes the volume where the archive logs are stored. so at any given point I have full backups and associated archive logs for the last six days. Also I have 3 monthly tapes, also full system backups. I have always thought this would be enough, but then I am new to Oracle so I now have a touch of paranoia creeping in after your last post 8-).

I like the idea of exporting the database but how long does the export take, and how big is your database? (rough approximation)

We are running BaaN and it has a lot of tables approx 2500 per system, and we have three systems in the database (live, test and standard) so all up there are some 7500 tables. The tablespace holding the data is approx 11Gb and the one holding the indexes is approx 10Gb. I have a feeling this could take a long time to export?

Sorry if my questions are annoying and basic, but I'm still waiting for the "guys with the checkbooks" (finance managers) to approve my Oracle raining - glad I'm not holding my breath ;-)

Jason

Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:9700ja$2rq$1_at_soap.pipex.net...
> All things being well you are correct. However this strategy relies on a
> single point of failure. Last nights backup. If you don't have the backup,
> or you can't restore from it, then you're dead. Being paranoid what we do
> for our backup strategy is as follows.
>
> 1. Export the entire database every night. - this gives a logical backup
 for
> cases like hardware failure.
> 2. Backup the database every night
> 3. Don't delete archives for 4 days.
>
> we also import the export to our DR site daily as well.
>

> --
> Niall Litchfield
> Oracle DBA
> Audit Commission UK
> "Jason Seeley" <me_at_127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> > Just another question regarding archive logs
> >
> > If I do a full backup of the database each night, after shutting it down
> > first. Do I need to keep backups of the archive logs before yesterdays?
> >
> > If a disaster were to happen during the day, surely the only archive
 logs
> > needed would be from today?
> >

> > Am I correct in my assumtion or am I missing something?
> >
> > Jason
> >

> > Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message
> > > You can recover from your last good backup until the first gap in your
> > > archived redo logs. This means
> > >
> > > either doing a recover until time, or doing recover until cancel - if
 you
> > > don't know how many archived logs you actually have.
> > >
> > > This is documented in the documentation under the title Incomplete
 Recovery.
> > > I strongly suggest if you actually need to do this that you read
 carefully
> > > through this documentation. As Howard Rogers is fond of saying this is
> > > exactly the reason for the introduction for 5 way multiplexing of
 archived
> > > logs in 8i. A good DBA *should* never lose an archived redo log. (I
 bet
 we