Re: Theoretical - restrict references

From: Peter <P.Slingerland_at_IMN.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:53:39 +0100

As I understand it:

Oracle does not start a transaction when issuing a select statement (a select statement
does not mutate any data). When a function is used in a select statement (as in
select customer_id, get_country_name( country_id ) from customers ) Oracle wants to
be guaranteed, that no updates take place in this function as it cannot provide roll-back due
to the fact that no transaction was started.

Peter.