Re: How many DB's can you create on one Oracle Server?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:13:15 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:46:56 -0500, Neil Rapley <rapley_at_MailAndNews.com> wrote:

>Can anyone tell me the maximum number of databases you can create on one
>Oracle Server? Any web-based reference to this would be good.

I've got a funny feeling you mean sets of tables under one application umbrella instead of "databases". If that is the case, the answer is: how much disk have you got? Because it's essentially unlimited, for all practical purposes.

You have to become familiar with the concept that in the ORACLE world, a database is not a set of tables for a single application. You can have many of these, all completely independent of each other, with no impact other than overall resource usage, in a single ORACLE database. The correct term for a database in ORACLE is an "instance". That can contain many "logical" databases inside it.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 06:13:15 CST