Changing Character Set

From: LF <frolio_at_videoshare.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:57:13 -0500

Greetings All, I need to enable my database to accommodate five European Languages as
well as three Asian Languages. I determined that the Character Set UTF-8 will allow me
to do this. However, I am a bit confused with the difference between the database
character set and the national character set(I am running 8i II on Solaris 2.7). Do I need
to set both or do I just need to set the database character set? Ideally I would like it if I
did not have to change my table column types(e.g. varchar -> nvarchar). I realize that I
will probably have to change the size of the varchar and char fields to allow for the size
difference in characters(e.g varchar(10) -> varchar(30)). I would appreciate it if someone
can give me the quick and the dirty of what I should do, or, what the best thing is to do.

Regards, LF Received on Fri Feb 16 2001 - 15:57:13 CST