Re: Create Database, ORA-01031 Insufficient Privileges

From: Frank <frankbo_at_interaccess.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:27:59 +0100

Not true (yet). svrmgrl still exists.
Apart from that, you can only start/stop the instance while logged on as sysdba:
connect sys/oracle as sysdba (in sqlplus). sys/change on install will not have the sysdba role, sys/internal does

what is the service called (the one that is started). It should have the SIDname in it, like OracleServiceCOIN. If it is OracleServcieORCL, you ony have an instance ORCL - create the services first, before logging in.

--

Frank
  Marian <mfarkas7_at_optonline.net> schreef in berichtnieuws Z02j6.53975$%g3.8056016_at_news02.optonline.net...   I'm new to oracle also, but i know a little.   User INTERNAL will not be available with future versions, so if you have 8i, it might be your case. If this is a brand new database, try to login as sys/change on install.

    "Nate Croston" <ncroston_at_cceb.med.upenn.edu> wrote in message news:3A8C0203.C6EACCA_at_cceb.med.upenn.edu...

    I am new to Oracle and I am having a problem creating a new database. I made an init.ora file and I also created a new service for my database (Windows NT) and the service is started. I have two problems:

      a.. I write the command SET ORACLE SID=COIN and according to the registry, the command doesn't take. I can only manually set the ORACLE SID from the registry.

      b.. Next I connect to the Server Manager. When I try to connect Internal/Oracle I get the error message ORA-01031 Insufficient Privileges.

    I don't understand why I don't have privileges for something that I didn't set permissions on yet. Does anyone know what to do about this?

    Nate