Re: RAIDs and Oracle Tablespace layout

From: Acid <nospam_at_nospam.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 02:11:45 GMT

Actually, RAID 5 gets a very bad rap for DB use.

The problem is, how many transactions do you need to support per second. There is a formula to calculate how many disks you need to perform the read/writes fast enough across the stripe to sustain that transaction rate.

Unfortunately, only bigger corporations want to spend the money to do it correctly. You may need 30 disks in an array to handle the transaction rate.

Compaq enterprise consulting does this for companies all the time, might want to get in touch, or hunt around their site to find info on sustaining transaction rates if RAID 5 is your choice. Most companies don't want to hear the price tag to truly support the througput. When you hear about SQL or Oracle being able to handle all of these millions of transactions to prove their bravado, they don't mention all of the disks they used in a RAID 5 to accomplish this.