Re: best way to move datafile?

From: Glen A. Sromquist <stromqgl_at_alpac.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:17:21 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3a9c05b4_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> You've already hot the nail on the head. The move can either be done in
 the
> mount stage using the ;alter database' command, or in a fully open state
> with an 'alter tablespace' command. The former is provided for those rare
> occasions when it is the files associated with the SYSTEM tablespace that
> need to be moved (since you obviously can't take the SYSTEM tablespace
> offline, which is a requirement for the latter method). The latter is
> provided for all other tablespaces and occasions, and is designed to let
 you
> do maintenance on bits of your database without having to inconvenience
> everybody with a complete shutdown.
>
> So it's not a question of 'preferable', merely one of 'is this SYSTEM
 you're
> talking about or not'?
>
> It's also the case that the 'alter database' method is the one you
 generally
> use during database recoveries, where the file restoration has taken place
> to a different disk from the original... you can't talk tablespace
 language
> until the database is fully open, and you can't ordinarily open the
 database
> until recovery has been performed -so you are forced to use the 'alter
> database' syntax.
>
> Regards
> HJR

In another thread I heard that the alter tablespace method is safe only in 8.x.x versions, because the datafile has to have a timestamp match for versions earlier than 8, so I would need to do a cp -p in UNIX when I copy the datafile to its new location.

Incidentally, the datafile that I want to move belongs to the rollback tablespace. Received on Tue Feb 27 2001 - 15:17:21 CST