Re: strange oracle problem - please help!!

From: WCK <abramswee_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:38:04 +0800

It is a major us vendor's travel and expense software so I assume they have put it to the regressive testing b4 they roll out. Really, the production web servers behave as if I shut/start the production database even though i did it on the test environment.
if I have an PROD tnsnames.ora pointing to the production sid prod database on a test environment and i did ;
set oracle_sid=prod
svrmgr30>shutdown immediate;
will this shutdown the oracle database instance in the production environment even though I execute it in the test envrionment?

Gordon Cartwright wrote in message <3A86B426.42DF1472_at_yahoo.co.uk>...
>I think you have at least two problems here, but I don't have enough info
>resolve either one. I'd need much more info about the application, it's
>configuration and how it's written.
>
>Regarding the 'missing' data that turned up 5 days later. Assuming that the
>application isn't temporarily holding it on the app/web server, the most
 likely
>reason for this is that the session which writes the data doesn't commit it
>until some later event (web server shutdown?). If this were to be the case
 you
>should be able to see the user sessions connected and locks held. If it's
>in-house code I'd start looking to see what it does, If it's a 3rd party
 app, I
>would put some session level traces on to see whats happening.
 Non-committed
>data would also explain why it doesn't appear on yor export.
>
>Regarding the prod/dev shutdown issue. What happens? You said the prod box
 is
>impacted, but you don't say what happens, error messages etc. Please give
 more
>info.
>
>WCK wrote:
>
>> Thanks for offering your help. I checked thru and thru on all the
>> tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, etc.. all to no avail. the server entries in
 the
>> tnsnames are IP address oriented (i am also the web programmer, system
>> analyst, web administrator and system administrator .. sheesh).
>>
>> Actually, I got one major suspect right now, my oracle 8.0.6.0.0 on NT
 has a
>> sga size at 100mb but all the connecting profiles have unlimited
 resources
>> set. At any one time, I got 100+ connections all running at dedicated
 server
>> modes. Just 3 weeks ago, the db ran into big problems whereby all the web
>> application
>> servers had reported errors in running a common entry save stored
 procedure.
>> Then I got alot of records missings in the db which the users claimed
 that
>> they have filed in, system reported the records is saved but log out and
 log
>> in again, the record disappeared. The backups that I did , export, did
 not
>> capture the saved data, but it seems to appear after 5 days later. I
>> strongly suspect that I didn't size up the sga enough. I checked at the
 free
>> memory at the v$sgastat and there's about 18Mb left.. gotta be this....
>> oracle and vendor both can't help at all and they blamed each other for
 it.

>> CK
>>
>> Gordon Cartwright wrote in message <3A8328AA.96327B09_at_yahoo.co.uk>...
>> >Can you post the tnsnames.ora from the web server box and the
 listener.ora
 from
>> >the prod and dev servers? Also, if the tnsnames.ora does not specify IP
>> >addresses, but uses machine names can you give details of the name
 resolution
>> >methods (DNS, WINS etc).
>> >
>> >When the system is up an running, have you had a look at the connections
 from
>> >the web server? Can you see the sessions against database?

 on
 my

 where
 the