Re: What is SQL Loader doing here?

From: RS <rs_at_rshome.u-net.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 14:29:10 -0000

The solution is quite simple...

Against each of your field names in the control file, you need to specify a datatype. If you put CHAR(4000) after each field, you will find each line loads succesfully.

Robert Nicholson <steffi_at_shell8.ba.best.com> wrote in message news:yl33ddvhrrq.fsf_at_shell8.ba.best.com...
> I'm going out of mind on this one. I'm trying to load jobserve's comma
> deliminited file into Oracle using SQL Loader. I usually have no problem
 doing
> this ..
>
> I'm using Oracle 815
>
> Here's what I have as my schema
>
> ID NUMBER
> JOB_TYPE

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> DESCRIPTION

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> SKILLS

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> LOCATION

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> START_DATE

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> TERM

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> RATE

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> AGENCY

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> CONTACT

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> FIELD10

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> FIELD11

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> EMAIL

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> URL

 VARCHAR2(4000)
> JOB_REFERENCE

 VARCHAR2(4000)

> Here's what I have a my control file
>
> load data infile *
> replace
> into table listing
> fields terminated by "," optionally enclosed by '"'
> ( id sequence(max,1),
> job_type,
> description,
> skills,
> location,
> start_date,
> term,
> rate,
> agency,
> contact,
> field10,
> field11,
> email,
> url,
> job_reference)
>
> Here's the offending record that claims to exceed the maximum length
>
> I will not break the lines
>
> "Contract","'Diamonds Are Forever' Analyst Programmer","AAA US investment
bank are looking for an experienced Analyst Programmer.You will be a good team player & have excellent interpersonal & communication skills.You will have Gloss HV.Knowledge of global system design&implementation,Unix,Sybase,design & development experience.Good business knowledge would be very beneficial.Excellent rates+enviroment.","City, London","ASAP","contract",,"Olympian Consultancy","Jay Aaronson","0207 786 8700","0207 786 8711","jay_aaronson@plexian.com","http://www.olympian.co.uk","JS",

> Why does this exceed anything when it's variable format and 4000 is the
> limit?
>
> thank you.
>
> Here's the log file
>

> SQL*Loader: Release 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on Sun Feb 4 13:35:09 2001
>
> (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Control File: d:\java\projects\jsp\jspdev\db\jobserve.ctl
> Data File: d:\archives\jobserve.csv
> Bad File: d:\java\projects\jsp\jspdev\db\jobserve.bad
> Discard File: none specified
>
> (Allow all discards)
>
> Number to load: ALL
> Number to skip: 0
> Errors allowed: 50
> Bind array: 64 rows, maximum of 65536 bytes
> Continuation: none specified
> Path used: Conventional
>
> Table LISTING, loaded from every logical record.
> Insert option in effect for this table: REPLACE
>
> Column Name Position Len Term Encl Datatype

> ID SEQUENCE (MAX,
 1)