Re: Modelling Packages

From: David Fowler <dbf57_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 15:59:59 GMT

Xenofon,
  We used UML to define business entities and relationships. The db design was thru ERwin from the UML model.
The Oracle Press book is good for understanding UML Method and use with oracle.

A paper from Oracle IOUG '99 or '00 which I don't have now, described using Packages to manage the database tables was our starting point on this design method.

We used this method for all our tables with Package around them. We control all insert/update/delete and custom selects with ref cursors as output. The insert/update/delete procedure call a check business rules procedure hidden in package of incoming data parameters. This takes some getting use to development this way. Good PLSQL Skills a must. The front end is thru the web and we have Oracle Forms that use the package interface. All data access is controlled by packages. Views on all tables can then secure the users access if needed. Any database changes needed have no effect on the mid/front end, unless they are requiring different information or additional parms. Check the IOUG web site. www.ioug.org to find the paper. Steven Feursteins book on advanced plsql programming with packages also is helpful. hth,
 Dave Fowler