Re: How to configure listener to 2 different versions of oracle on the same machine

From: <michel_gaudu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:32:23 GMT

In article <3a770239$0$7806_at_wodc7nh7.news.uu.net>,   "SG" <sajnish_gupta_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have Oracle 8.0.5 and Oracle8i installed on the same Solaris
 machine.
> Both are working fine, except for the listener. I heard we do not
 have to
> have both the listener versions running, only one is suffice
 (Oracle8i in
> this case).
> Can anyone give me an example how to configure this. Your help is much
> appricated.
>
> Sajnish

Yes it is possible, and I think it is a good idea to use the most recent version to do so.

I did it once, on a pretty obscur O/S (HP MPE/iX), and if I remind correctly what I did, the trick was to specify for each SID_DESC the correct ORACLE_HOME and PROGRAM values.

Also, you can define two different listeners in the same listener.ora file, one for 8i and one for 8.0.5. This would allow you to start/stop the listening services of both instances independently.

HTH Michel Gauthier

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 12:32:23 CST