Re: inittrans in OLTP system

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 23:44:04 GMT

No, incorrect. Buffer busy waits have nothing to do with itl entries. The symptom you would get with insufficient itls would be enqueue waits. You just wait and wait until the blocking session commits its transaction. You might also see an occasional deadlock, in which trace file there will be an indication of "no rows" involved. This means that itl entries could not grow dynamically and transactions that were involving the same blocks but different rows were deadlocking each other.

Although you can alter the INITRANS value dynamically, you still have to rebuild the table with a higher INITRANS and perhaps a different PCTFREE in order to reallocate space in the blocks. Existing blocks will not be affected by the INITRANS alteration.

Ricky