Incomplete Recovery

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 08:43:43 -0000

>> Not true -not entirely, anyway. Backing up cold after a shutdown
 abort
>>simply means that the database, when restored in a noarchivelog
 scenario,
>> will immediately need Instance Recovery.

I agree if running noarchivelog, but for incomplete recovery the scenario is totally different and requires archivelog and don't recover the control files :o)

>>I don't disagree, because one can never be too careful. But it's not
>> strictly necessary.

We were shown how to break an instance on the B&R course. Shutdown abort and do a recovery, works until you come to open the database. Bang - file 'n' requires more recovery. Bye bye data - at least back to the previous full (cold) backup. Its fun :o)

Regards
HJR