Incomplete Recovery

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:01:36 -0000

One thing I noticed from your post - you did a cold backup after a shutdown abort ?
This is one way to totally screw the database - as far as I was taught on the Backup & Recovery course and from personal experience.

You can only cold backup files from an instance that was closed using 'shutdown' and not any of the other variant - immediate or abort.

What I do when I need to bin some sessions is a shutdown abort, then startup restrict and shutdown again. Takes time, but at least I know the instance is in a reliable state when I take the backup.

HTH. Regards, Norman.

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com