Re: How to install Oracle Server on Linux?

From: Peter J. Holzer <hjp-usenet_at_SiKitu.wsr.ac.at>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:02:58 +0100

On 2001-01-28 16:56, Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote:
>I have just downloaded Linux version of Oracle servers from
>otn.oraclce.ocm as follows:
>1.Oracle8051EE_Intel: 167,291KB, Oracle 8.0.5 Enterprise Edition for
>Linux
>2.oracle8161_tar.tar: 281,909KB, Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Edition for
>Linux
>3.linux817ee.tar: 85,534KB, Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise Edition for Linux

Why did you download three different versions? Also the last one isn't complete. It should be around 500 MB.

>I know Windows NT server and Oracle server, but I don't know much
>about Linux or Unix, so I wonder:
>1.Can I write these 3 files into one CD-ROM?

Yes.

>2.How can I install the servers in Linux (Red Hat 7.0)?

Unpack the tar file in some suitable directory, find the release notes, read them, and then run the installer.

>3.After the Oracle server is installed on Linux, I also want to
>connect to it from Windows 98 on another PC.

You need the oracle client installed and configured on the Windows PC, but you probably already know that.

        hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | All Linux applications run on Solaris,
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | which is our implementation of Linux.