Re: runaway temporary tablespace

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_ecis.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:07:56 -0800

I have seen similar behavior when poorly formed SQL queries create "Cartesian product" result sets due to a missing "join" condition, and then the programmer works around it by doing a "SELECT DISTINCT...". This will cause all the rows to be sorted and merged in the TEMP tablespace.

Check "EXPLAIN PLAN" output to see how many rows are actually being processed at each step of the query execution...