session_cached_cursors and parsing and performance

From: Neil Cudd <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:17:17 -0000

My second question today ...

I have a poorly performing database (well the users complain anyway), in as much as the CPU is 0% idle and and the last time I checked the SQL Area Get Hit Ratio was below 30%. So I set session_cached cursors to 50 (from 0) to see if I can reduce parsing which I suspected was where the CPU was being hit.

Now my question is around open cursors - How many open cursors would you expect a session to have at any one time ? Checking via enterprise manager, there are sessions with 100+ open cursors. This seems excessive to me, but I'd like a second opinion ....

Any comments welcome,

Neil Cudd. Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 05:17:17 CST