Re: Autoextend - where in the data dictionary ?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 16:27:17 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Neil Cudd" <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Spencer wrote in message ...
> >are the archive log directory and/or admin directory on the
> >same filesystem as the datafiles ? there are several files
> >and directories (used by oracle) that grow over time. here
> >are few places to check first:
> >
> >archive log dest directory
> >udump directory (*.trc)
> >bdump directory (*.trc and alert_sid.log file)
> >sqlnet.log
> >listener.log
> >audit directory (under $ORACLE_HOME)
> >export files
> >backup files
> >
> >also verify that no other processes are using the oracle
> >file system(s).
> >

> This is an SAP installation, so the filesystems are set up fairly well
> (i.e - data is kept away from indices and dump and trace files are on
> separate devices).
>
> I took a snapshot of the filesystem usage (df -k) and then did the
 same
> thing 3 hours later. The space is definitely being 'eaten' away, not
 rapidly
> but enough to cause problems down the way ....
>
> There are no other files apart from Oracle datafiles and autoextend is
> definitely not switched on for any file in the database.
>
> Anybody out there have Oracle V7.3.4.4 running on AIX 4.3.3 ? I'm
 suspicious
> of the os ....
>
> Neil c.

Check for 'hidden' files -- in UNIX these start with a '.'. There may be log files or temp files written by SAP that are not meant to be seen by just anyone. This may be a 'blind alley', but it is a thought, since all you are 'seeing' are the Oracle files.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com