Re: URGENT Help please with Oracle pricing and sizing

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:53:34 -0600

<bdimple_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:94qfhk$fjv$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of URGENT question !!!
>
> I have just been asked if I can provide a way of
> doing sizing estimates for an Oracle Database.
> For example, given 10,000 records in a table, how
> much disk space would that require.
> Is there any way to do this ?

a quick approach to estimating oracle space requirements is to ask how much space the data requires (or would require) if it were stored in character format in a sequential file, then add 20% for overhead (block headers, free space, etc. and then multiply that number by 4.

you can get really involved in estimating space, but if you're at all concerned with performance and reliability, then you need to be estimating in terms of the number of drives, not megabytes.

yes. in our shop, production databases have a mimum of five dedicated disk drives (in addition to the drives used for the os and swap.) even if the database has only 10,000 records in a single table. but i could probably slide that table onto one of our existing databases with only two additional drives.

figure all of the data will go onto a dedicated drive.

add another drive to use for indexes.

add another drive for sorting (temp) and concurrency (rollback).

add another drive for the online redo logs.

add another drive for the executables, the system tablespace, the admin directory, and archive logs.

you'll also want room for the export files and possibly backup data files. we can slide the control files onto the drives used for indexes and temp/rollback.

if you can't afford any downtime due to a failure of a disk drive, then double the number of drives for "mirroring".

i know it is technically possible to run a small oracle database on a single drive, but do you really want to ?

figure on a minimum of five drives (1 for data, 1 for indexes, 1 for temp and rollback, 1 for online redo logs, 1 for archived logs, the executables, admin directory), etc.

> I have also been asked about Oracle's pricing structure.
> In particular, if Users on a Web Site send requests through
> a middle-tier Broker to a Database on a Server, how does Oracle charge
> for that ?
> I have a feeling that in fact they charge by the CPU(s) power, but I
> may be wrong. They obviously can't charge by the number of users in an
> Internet Web Site so maybe they have some other approach.

the terms of the licensing agreements are spelled out at the online oracle store: store.oracle.com.

there are two options for Oracle server: named users or power units.

for a named user license, you have to identify and count each individual user (not concurrent users) that can access the database. if access to the database is pooled (or multiplexed) through a middle tier like, for example, an application server or a web server, then you have to count the individual users at the app or web server. you CANNOT just count one connection from the web server to the database as one oracle user.

with the other option, a power unit license, you can support an unlimited number of users. the cost for a power unit license is determined by the total cpu power of the host (number and speed of the cpus)

standard edition is much less expensive than enterprise edition, but is limited to specific, lower-end hardware configurations.