Shared server chews up memory

From: <stevecroft_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 02:19:21 GMT

I have an interesting problem with 8.1.7, running on SPARC Solaris 8. Several times a day our memory resources are chewed up by a shared server process. Memory usage by a single server process continues to grow until all space is consumed.

If I look at v$shared_server I see only one server, S000. If I look at the UNIX process list, I can see two, s000 and s001. All the memory is being eaten by s001.

Watching it in action I it appears that s0001 goes bonkers upon deallocation. Has anyone seen similar behaviour? One Oracle rep told me they have seen numerous memory leak problems in 8.1.7 and patches are on the way. That's a bit disappointing since I though 8.1.7 was going to be tweaks and not major changes - the "buttoning up" of 8i as it were.

Steve

8.1.7.00
Solaris 8 (SPARC)

Sent via Deja.com