Re: i/o parameters on oracle and sun

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 01:14:20 +1100

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3A643625.979_at_yahoo.com...
> rkatofiasc_at_classifiedventures.com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for your reply,
> > Is it not true that having a large multiblock read count will effect
> > the cost based optimizer into issuing full table scans as opposed to
> > using the indexes? Also I read a white paper that stated that the
> > strip width = interlace size * number of drives in the array = max i/o
> > size

It *is* true that a large multi-block_read paramteter will delude Oracle into thinking that full tablescans are much cheaper in terms of I/O than it might otherwise think. That would accordingly persuade the optimiser to favour full tablescans (which scan via multi-block reads) over index accesses (which don't).

HJR