Instance with thousands of schemas

From: Audun Jensen <audun_j_at_yahoo.no>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 14:43:52 GMT

Hi,
I'm starting to migrate a MS SQL Server db to Oracle and have some questions I would like to have comments on. Today our SQL Server database consists of more than 3500 user databases and the number is increasing. Each database corresponds to a user "project". As some of you probably are aware of, SQL Server have a "database"-concept that differs from Oracle's, in the way that one SQL Server instance can consist of many databases, each database consisting of users, tables, views, procs, triggers etc.. I believe the way to do this using Oracle will be to create and implement a schema for each database, containing the necessary objects and constraints.

This leads to an instance containing thousands of schemas, each containing 50-100 tables. In addition I will have to create users who can access one or more of these "databases" depending on how many "projects" the customer creates.

Is there anybody who have any experience in this number of schemas? What will I have to think of in order to have an instance that is operatable and running smooth?

TIA AJ Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 08:43:52 CST