Re: Instance with thousands of schemas

From: Audun Jensen <audun_j_at_yahoo.no>
Date: 19 Jan 2001 12:10:38 GMT

"Falco Paul" <falco_at_palm.nl> wrote in <9471a8$p8v$1_at_azure.nl.gxn.net>:

>This would be the best thing to do, Audun, even though Oracle does
>support multiple instances.
>I am not aware of any limitiation on the number of schema's you can use.
>Think about tablespace storage before you go ahead.
>If you want to minimize the impact of a disk failure, spread the
>schema's among your disks.
>Further, Oracle has many ways of organising user privileges. The best
>thing would probably be to use roles.
>You could also use synonyms in certains cases. There's also the Virtual
>Private Database feature in Oracle EE,
>but I don't think it will be of much use in your situation.
>See the docs for more details.
>
>Falco Paul
>Cigma Consult
>The Netherlands
>
>"Audun Jensen" <audun_j_at_yahoo.no> schreef in bericht
>> Hi,
>> I'm starting to migrate a MS SQL Server db to Oracle and have some
>> questions I would like to have comments on.
>> Today our SQL Server database consists of more than 3500 user
>> databases

 and
>> the number is increasing. Each database corresponds to a user
>> "project".

 As
>> some of you probably are aware of, SQL Server have a
>> "database"-concept that differs from Oracle's, in the way that one SQL
>> Server instance can consist of many databases, each database
>> consisting of users, tables, views, procs, triggers etc.. I believe
>> the way to do this using Oracle

 will
>> be to create and implement a schema for each database, containing the
>> necessary objects and constraints.
>>
>> This leads to an instance containing thousands of schemas, each
>> containing 50-100 tables. In addition I will have to create users who
>> can access one or more of these "databases" depending on how many
>> "projects" the customer creates.
>>
>> Is there anybody who have any experience in this number of schemas?
>> What will I have to think of in order to have an instance that is
>> operatable

 and
>> running smooth?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> AJ

What about the tablespaces? Each customer will have one or more projects (schemas). Should I let each schema have its own tablespace (maybe two; one for the data and one for the indexes), should I create one tablespace for each customer or maybe I should let all schemas reside in the same tablespace?
From a management point of view (read minimize management) I guess everything should be put in one (or two) tablespaces. From performance considerations I guess that is no good idea?

What do you think?

AJ Received on Fri Jan 19 2001 - 06:10:38 CST