Re: Oracle Install Hell on Linux...

From: aflinsch <avflinsch_at_att.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:21:45 -0600

dejatype_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Both of Oracle 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 fail on Mandrake 7.2 saying that JRE was
> not found at %/bin/jre (where % is some weird looking garbage character
> printed by ./runInstaller in the install/linux directory). I have tried
> all version of JRE and JDK starting from 1.1.8_v3 all the way to the
> very latest from javasoft.com. No luck! Does this garbage character in
> the expected path of JRE give a clue?
>
> Also, I can't run ./runInstaller from the 8.1.6 or 8.1.7 install's top
> level directory (e.g. /mnt/cdrom). I get a message: bash:
> ./runInstaller: No such file or directory. I have to cd to install/linux
> directory and run ./runInstaller present there. And it gives the message
> about JRE quoted above.

I had this problem installing 8.1.5 on a Mandrake 7.1 system. I have not had the problem installing on a 7.2 system with either 8.1.6 or 8.1.7.

Is there any chance that your download was no good? Oracle 8.1.6 came with the correct jre and ran fine right from the root directory of the cd.

Before you try to download again, try removing the JAVAPATH environment vars and running the runInstaller directly from the cd. Received on Fri Jan 12 2001 - 14:21:45 CST