Re: Oracle 9i nitty gritty

From: <mike_st0ne_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:57:14 GMT

In article <3a5dcb81.33089129_at_news.tiac.net>,   droth_at_adaptron.com (CaseMan) wrote:
> 9i was announced at OpenWorld in Oct (or was it Nov).
> Many of the presentation slides from Oracle presenters read 8.2.
> It looks like 9i has a lot of new "stuff" but it is not as significant
> a step as 6 to 7 or 7 to 8.
>
> jumaga_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >Ok, what's the story with 9i? I've read some of Oracle's marketing
> >hype and I still can't figure out what the real deal is. It looks to
> >me like it is primarily still just an 8.1.7 database but that they
 have
> >bundled all their apps in and are pushing it as a complete package.
> >They've also bundled a bunch of new tools (half of which probably
 don't
> >work properly) but has the core db technology gone through another
> >major change?
> >
> >Does anyone have further insight into the nitty-gritty?
> >
> >PS
> >I've been working with Oracle since version 6 and it seems like I'm
> >constantly fighting to stay current with Oracle... I spent the
 majority
> >of the last year getting intimate with 8i, and now I have to get
> >familiar with 9i? Jeesh. The time between major releases of Oracle
 is
> >getting a little out of hand... I guess Ellison really does want to
 be
> >the next Microsoft. LOL! I'll get off the soap box now.
> >

> >Sent via Deja.com
> >http://www.deja.com/

The official release name for "9i" is indeed 8.2 . Which means (inter alia) that RBO will still be supported (just about).   I'm curious to see what's going to happen on the Windoze platform. I read that Oracle 8i is failing certification tests on Win2K; with M$, committed to .net, saying they aren't going to support Java - a technology Oracle has bet the house on. No wonder Ellison and Ballmer got together for a tete-a-tete recently.

Mike S

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 09:57:14 CST